JD Locomotive Works L.L.C. - Dependable On Time Precision Machine Work
1.5" scale Falk Project
 
We picked up this little gem and it was in horrible shape.  The copper boiler was sound but a very bad design. The valve chest, journal boxes and slide valves were made from plastic. The frame was chain drilled.  She's in good hands now and will be a good looking and running locomotive when we're done.  We also plan to offer castings for this locomotive as well as ready to run in the near future.
 
You need Flash Player in order to view this.
Falk chassis on air
1.5" scale falk chassis on air. Still need to do a little fine tuning.
 
 
 
 
 
You need Flash Player in order to view this.
1-1/2" scale falk live steam
This is video 1.
Falk chassis
Falk chassis
The falk chassis mocked up with cardboard boiler
Cutting the Boiler
Cutting the Boiler
cutting away the opening for the firebox using a slitting saw.
Boiler
Boiler
The smokebox is integrated into the boiler as one piece. So the inside was bored for the front tube sheet since pipe is not truely round.
Boiler
Boiler
After the cuts were made with the slitting saw, the boiler was taken to the band saw and had the throat sheet area cut. Then back on the mill table for machining.
Boiler
Boiler
Finished machined boiler shell.
The frame
The frame
Maching the side frames
The frame
The frame
You can see how the frame was chain drilled. Fortunately the frame was over size which allowed it to be machined to spec.
New number plate
New number plate
Before
Before
This is what it looked like before we got her.
Before
Before
Before
Before
Before
Before
New Valve Chest
New Valve Chest
The originals were plastic
New Valve Chest
New Valve Chest
New Valve Chest
New Valve Chest
New valvle chest on cylinder
Polished cylinder
Polished cylinder
New boiler
New boiler
We made a new design for the falk boiler.
New axle boxes
New axle boxes
The old axle boxes were plastic.
Cylinder Assembly
Cylinder Assembly
Machining the expansion links
Machining the expansion links
Everything was done on thr rotary table
Finished expansion links
Finished expansion links
New eccentric straps
New eccentric straps
The chassis
The chassis
We made a new frame that was water jet cut. The old frame was scrapped.
Smokebox cover
Smokebox cover
Smokebox cover
Smokebox cover
Smokebox cover
Smokebox cover
Stack
Stack
Stack, stack extension, and petticoat
Front view
Front view
smokebox
smokebox
showing petticoat
Friend end
Friend end
Side view
Side view
Back view
Back view
Front end
Front end
The exhaust kines and steam lines are plumbed in at the cylinder. Now I have to determine where I want to put the lubricator. It is a displacement type so it has to be in line with the steam delivery line. I think I'm going to put it in the cab right after the throttle.
Temporary plumbing
Temporary plumbing
The plumbing is temporary to get a good idea where things need to be
Temporary plumbing
Temporary plumbing
This shows the right side of the locomotive. This was taken after the first fire up burning oak!!!!! The pressure gauge and safety valve are NOT going to be on this locomotive. Smaller pressure gauge and smaller safeties will be installed. These were used strictly for testing purposes.
Water glass
Water glass
This is our own water glass. I will be marketing these in the near future. They will be available soon and in various sizes.
Water glass
Water glass
Cab with floor
Cab with floor
I had to remove the cab floor and mill out a slot for the reverse quadrant. Then put everything back in.
Cab
Cab
Looking down through the top of the cab.
Rear View
Rear View
There will be a door where the cut out is. Making hand firing easier.
Rear side view
Rear side view
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint